Friday, August 25, 2006

Right to Reply - Richard Charkin

Happily, I've received a prompt and courteous, if not terribly informative, reply from Richard Charkin to my original email. If you have not the original, please read it here first.

Dear Sebastian

Not sure how to reply. To be perfectly honest I'd understand why Gerard made a noise in order to get published. But he is now published. But as you say I think he's fine - the world needs stirrers and eccentrics. However, from a business point of view (and publishing is a business) I'm certain he'd be more trouble than he's worth ( i may be wrong but that's a perennial hazard).

As to doing our best, that referred to Macmillan not the publishing industry and was a sort of joke. I can't be bothered to continue arguing!

Best

Richard

Hmmm. If you have read the original email you might spot a bit of a howler there.

Something I was only too happy to point out by return of email:

Dear Richard,

Thanks for your courteous reply, and I appreciate you have better things to do than continue arguing though re "referring to Macmillan and not the publishing industry" I cannot help pointing out what you actually wrote:

"Perhaps the publishing industry should adopt a mission statement - WE'RE DOING OUR BEST."

And of course I do realise publishing is a business first and foremost. I have great sympathy with you for having to deal with those who think that their books deserve to be published as some sort of art form and balls to the bottom line.

My point is when you repeat the "publishing is a business" mantra ad nauseam and then run the business arseways it is no wonder authors get annoyed. Thus I was merely suggesting you take a closer look at the strengths and weaknesses of your own business before dismissing the authors.

Thanks again,

Sebastian

The response:

Sebastian

Ah my. Alzheimer strikes. It was a Macmillan joke which I converted to the industry - and I forgot.

If you think I run our business arseways then don't bother to read the blog.

Richard

Oops. Ruffled a few feathers. Glad I did not use my real name. For the record the arseways comment was a reference to the publishing industry and not Macmillan specifically.

Anyway, all I have learnt from this exercise is that this blogging lark is brilliant. It is not everyday I enjoy email banter with the chairman of Macmillan.

No comments: